Monday, May 2, 2011

Hamburger Steak with Gravy (Official Meal #1)

The Hamburger Steak I made is a homemade recipe that my dad uses very often.  Since it's homemade, it doesn't really have a recipe.  My dad usually just adds the amount of salt and pepper he thinks is appropriate and cooks the hamburger as long as he sees fit.  While teaching me how to cook, we had to keep track of the measurements for each ingredient.

Serving size: App. 7 med-sized patties

Ingredients:
- 1 lb hamburger (90/10 sirloin)
- 1/2 round onion
- 1/4 cup green onions chopped
- 1 1/2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 5 tbsp oil

Gravy:
- 1 can of Campbell's Beef Gravy (Yep, we're going to be lazy with the gravy)

First, you dump the hamburger in a bowl (in this case, my dad and I used a pyrex glass container).


Second, dice 1/2 of an onion.  In order to do this, first, chop of the edges of the whole onion.  Then, tear off the outer skin.  After, you cut the onion in half and cut in the opposite direction of the onion layers.  Dice each slice.  *Tip: Make sure fingers are bent it when cutting onions.



Third, mix onions, green onions, 1 1/2 eggs (1 egg and egg white of second egg), salt, and pepper into hamburger.  Use fork to mix together the ingredients.  *Tip: Don't mash hamburger.  Otherwise, the hamburger will become mushy.


Third, heat a pan over medium heat and oil with approximately 5 tbsp of oil (in this case, we used canola oil).  


Now, you want to cover the top of a large plate and the bottom of a small plate with wax paper.  Grab a ball of hamburger, place on top of large plate, and press the small plate against the ball until patty is formed.  Round the edges and place in pan.





Cook one side of the patty for 7-8 minutes.  Flip over and cook on other side for approximately 5 minutes (or until brown).  *Tip: Don't push down on patties.  

                             

For the gravy:
Put small pan over low heat and pour can of gravy into pan.  Let slowly heat up.  Cook until it darkens and lightly bubbles.




Pour gravy over hamburger steak.  When serving, leave heat for both gravy and hamburger on low.  


I decided to start my project with hamburger steak because it is a fairly simple and basic recipe that requires basic techniques.  Even though this recipe was easy to follow (especially with the great help from dad), I still learned a good deal of things. 
1) I should probably resort to chewing gum when cutting up onions.  While chopping up the onions, I felt the stinging in my eyes that didn't go away until I finished cutting everything.  

2) I learned how to cut an onion.  I know, it sounds silly and simple, considering the only thing it requires is common sense.  

3) While making hamburger steak, my dad told me not to mash the hamburger or else it will make it mushy.

4) Forming hamburger patties by hand lessens the overall quality of the finished product.  Apparently, the heat from your hands can make the meat mushier, therefore making the patty mushier (eww).  

5) 1 lb of hamburger makes approximately 7 medium sized patties.  
    3/4 lb of hamburger makes approximately 5-6 medium sized patties.

6)  Don't push down the patties with the spatula when cooking in pan (a flat hamburger patty isn't as delicious as a thick and juicy hamburger patty).  

So far, I really like my quality project.  First of all, I enjoy going on a mini scavenger hunt for all the needed ingredients.  Second of all, it's fun to look up recipes (which I spent most of my time doing even before the project idea arose).  Third, I love learning new things.  Learning how to cook, especially from my parents.  Cooking with my dad today helped me realize what great parents I have.  Some families often resort to take-out food such as pizza, frozen foods, or fast foods for dinner.  Cooking tonight made me realize how often my family cooks home-made dinners (which are very delicious).
Another thing I realized tonight is fortunate I am to have both parents that have adequate cooking skills.  By cooking with them, they can pass all of their knowledge onto me.

Cooking your own food allows people to bond with my family.  Something I've always wanted in this household is for cooking to become a family activity, in which each of us performs one part.  For example, I could chop the vegetables, mom could saute the vegetables, and dad could cook the meat (and keep switching for each meal).  Cooking requires effect, and if a family does it together, it is more likely to be successful.  By putting in a group effort to whip up a good meal, cooking can allow families to bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment